The Heart Research Institute (HRI) and Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute jointly hosted the 2022 Sydney Cardiovascular Symposium, with the theme “Genomics, Diversity and Equity”, focused on Indigenous Australians and closing the gap in cardiovascular health.
In this fifth time that the Symposium has been held, discovery, clinical and public health researchers came together to discuss all aspects of genomics in cardiovascular health and disease, with the event facilitating the collaborations and sharing of knowledge required to tackle this difficult problem.
An outstanding group of regional and national speakers joined this year. Among these was Prof Alex Brown, from the Australian National University in Canberra and Telethon Kids Institute in Perth, who presented the annual highlight of the Princesses’ Lecture, named in honour of Diana, Princess of Wales and Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark.
HRI was well-represented at the Symposium as chairs and speakers
- Distinguished Prof Annemarie Hennessy, Vascular Immunology Group (speaker) – Women Matter: How Pregnancy Influences Cardiovascular Disease
- Assoc Prof Mary Kavurma, Vascular Complications Group (speaker) – Sex-dependent Differences in PAD
- Dr Xuyu (Johnny) Liu, Cardiovascular-protective Signalling and Drug Discovery Group (co-chair) – Cardiometabolic Disease session
- Dr Nicole Lowres, Heart Rhythm and Stroke Prevention Group (co-chair) – Genomics and Diversity session
- Prof John O’Sullivan, Cardiometabolic Disease Group (co-chair) – Genomics and Systems Biology of Cardiovascular Disease session
- Assoc Prof Simone Schoenwaelder, Thrombosis Group (co-chair) – EMCR Flash Talks
Special congratulations to our EMCR participants on the following awards
- Dr Yen Chin Koay, Cardiometabolic Disease Group – Rising Star Award
- Ms Eva Li, Atherosclerosis and Vascular Remodelling Group – Best Poster
- Dr Xiaoming Liu, Haematology Research Group – Best EMCR Flash Talk
- Ms Laura Moldovan, Thrombosis Group – Best Student Poster
- Dr Yann Huey Ng, Cardiometabolic Disease Group – Highly Commended Oral Presentation